Monday, March 8, 2010

Policy making

I'm going to elaborate a bit on my last post. It just boggles my mind that supposedly intelligent leaders and scholars expect people to always behave rationally. A person can be rational and unselfish and all of that. People in groups just don't behave that way. Any student of history can tell you that. It's one of the human race's inevitable flaws. We're not perfect. By our nature, we can't be perfect. Therefore, any public policy or economic plan has to take that into account.

Oh, I'm not saying that people need to be led around like sheep. I just think that sensible regulations and an acknowledgment that a lot of folks don't give a toss about the the common good (especially when it adversely affects their pocket books) is necessary for successful policy making.

Simple, right? I'm thinking not.

No comments:

Post a Comment